- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:Makes 24-36 squares, (cookies)
- 32 caramel candies (the Kraft caramel squares are what I use)
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) quick oats
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter, melted
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped pecans
- In the top of double boiler, melt caramels with the cream, keep warm, not hot, and set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and butter. press 3/4 of mixture into a well-greased 11 inch x 7 inch x 2 inch baking pan (Jelly Roll pan) and bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Immediately when the crust comes out of the oven , sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over baked crumb mixture.
- Next, pour caramel mixture over the top of the nuts and chocolate.
- For the next layer, sprinkle with the remaining crumbs and bake for 20 more minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares.