- Individual or casserole dish of hot savory succulent crab dish.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:Serves 4-6 (8-12 oz ramekins)
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter (unsalted best)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) whole milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) celery salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce (I use 1/4 tsp)
- dash of cayenne pepper (to taste, I use more)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sherry (use a good one for best results)
- 1 cup (225 ml) soft bread crumbs (I like day old sourdough best)
- 2 cups (475 ml) crab meat (canned is alright, but fresh crab is awesome)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) parsley, minced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Melt butter, add onion and cook over low heat until onion is lightly browned.
- Add flour, blend together thoroughly.
- Add milk and seasonings and cook until mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add egg yolk, stir, and remove saucepan from heat.
- Add sherry and most of the bread crumbs, reserving a small portion to sprinkle over top of mixture.
- Then add crab meat and parsley to the mixutre and gently blend.
- Fill greased ramekins (individual casserole dishes).
- Top with remaining bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until browned and bubbling.
- Serve with a good stick of French Bread and a tossed green salad with a simple white wine vinagrette.
A chilled glass of Chardonnay is spectacular with this dish!