- Sweet and Salty addictive crunching and munching will be a lifelong blessing!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:Makes 1 Large Popcorn Bowl.
- 1 cup (225 ml) unpopped corn
- 3 to 4 tbsp (60 ml) Butter Flavored Crisco (Peanut oil is great and so is just plain corn or canola oil)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- Put a large heavy bottomed pan (or kettle) on the stove burner on high heat with crisco or oil, sugar and popcorn.
- Stir constantly until the sugar begins to melt and you can tell the kernels are about to pop.
- Put the lid on the pan and shake, shake, shake.
- Make sure the kernels are kept moving!
- When popping sound has died down and it is almost done, QUICKLY and CAREFULLY take off the stove's burner and have a large recepticle (See note below) ready to emply the popped corn.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.
- Note: It is best to try and use a brown paper bag from the grocery store to dump the popped corn into. Carefully fold down the first 3-4 inches of the top of the paper bag to maintain stability and the largest opening you can get. Then, have it standing on the floor close enough to the stove so that you can easily, carefully, and simply pour the freshly popped and very hot corn into the bag. Then, add the salt to the bag and shake gently to distribute the salt. From the paper bag, you can pour into a pretty towel lined basket or your favorite popcorn bowl.
If you are going on an excursion to the beach, a picnic, or a long drive.. leave it in the paper bag and slip a plastic grocery bag around that for moisture protection and handles to carry it!
This is a very addictive treat! Fits the bill for when you crave something sweet and salty at the same time. It is crunchy and snappy! The sugar is a VERY light sweetness to the whole pan of corn and you won't want to stop eating it!!