- Another of my mother's good, old-fashioned recipes!
- Caroline, from New Zealand
Serves/Makes:4 or more for dessert
- 3 oz (84 grm). dark chocolate (called "Energy Chocolate in NZ and is not your usual "sweet" chocolate)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) milk
- 1-1/2 pints milk
- 2-1/4 oz (63 grm). cornflour or corn starch
- 1-1/2 oz (42 grm). white sugar
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- Place the 3 tbsp (45 ml) of milk into a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the chocolate (broken into small pieces).
- Dissolve stirring over a low, gentle heat.
- Take off of heat.
- In a large jug mix the cornflour with a little of the second measurement of milk and put the remainder of the milk into a small saucepan to heat.
- When quite hot, but not boiling, add it to the blended cornflour and stir.
- Pour this into the larger saucepan (containing the melted chocolate) and stir.
- Cook until thickened, then add the sugar and a little vanilla essence.
- Transfer to a fancy serving bowl, or individual serving dishes, and chill.
- You can serve with whipped cream and fruit, but it is just as good on its own!