Diabetic Pumpkin-Maple Pie
- Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Cookbook
- 1 recipe Lower-Fat Oil Pastry (Below)
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) maple-flavored syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 packets heat-stable sugar substitute
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1 cup (225 ml) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). vanilla
- frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
- Lower-Fat Oil Pastry:
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fat-free milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cooking oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) or more additional milk (as needed)
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Combine milk and cooking oil; add all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork until dough forms.
- If necessary, add 1 to 2 tsp (10 ml) additional milk.
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten pastry.
- Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Ease pastry into pan, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.
- Fold under extra pastry.
- Crimp the edge as desired.
- Do not prick pastry.
- In a medium bowl combine pumpkin, syrup, flour, sugar substitute, and pumpkin pie spice; add egg product.
- Beat lightly with a rotary beater or fork until just combined.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk and vanilla; mix well.
- Place pastry-lined pie plate on oven rack.
- Carefully pour filling into pastry shell.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake in a 375 degree (200 C.) oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil.
- Bake 20-25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.
- If desired, serve with dessert topping.
- Nutrition facts per serving: 216 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Daily values: 126% vit. A, 4% vit. C, 11% calcium, 15% iron