Savory and Sweet Hot Potato Salad
- Delicious main dish to serve to hungry troops on cold nights
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dry mustard
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) celery seed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely chopped parsley
- 4 knockwurst, cooked and cut up
- chopped parsley
- Boil potatoes until tender; slice.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onions together until bacon is crisp.
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt and pepper to the skillet with the onions and bacon; mix well.
- Add vinegar, water and celery seeds; cook until thickened.
- Arrange knockwurst, if used and cooked potatoes in shallow bowl.
- Pour hot sauce over and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve warm.
- Omit the knockwurst from the recipe and serve on buns with the potato salad sans the meat!
Excellent option is to substitute your favorite sausages, like smoked or kielbasa or brats for the knockwurst. Also, don't forget a coooooold beer with this one!