- Delicious and addictive Fresh Blueberries in a rich crust. Fun recipe, rent "South Pacific" and enjoy the full "Nellie" experience!
- S. Chokel
- 3 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- zest of one lemon, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 2 cups (475 ml) unbleached flour, plus extra flour for dusting and rolling
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- Place the blueberries in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch and toss to coat evenly.
- Add 4 tbsp (60 ml) water and the lemon zest and toss again.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar, set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the shortening and butter.
- Place the flour in a large bowl.
- With dough blender or 2 knives, cut in the shortening mixture.
- Add the milk and mix thoroughly with wooden spoon--the dough will be very sticky.
- Liberally dusting your hands and the dough with flour, work the dough until you can form a ball.
- Divide the ball into 2 equal parts.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out part in a circle for the bottom crust.
- When the circle is about 1/8" thick, press into a pie pan and trim, leaving an edge sufficient for attaching the upper crust.
- Fill the bottom crust with the blueberry mixture.
- Roll out the top crust and place over the pie.
- Trim the edge.
- Trim with a fork and then join the crusts around the edge, pressing firmly.
- Prick the top crust several times with the fork to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Sprinkle the pie with the sugar and bake in the middle of the oven about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Serve Nellie's Normal Blueberry Pie warm, topped with vanilla ice cream.
- "I'm as corny as Kansas in August
I'm as normal as blueberry pie,
No more a smart little girl with no heart,
I have found me a wonderful guy."
Sang Nellie Forbush about her romantic Frenchman, Emile DeBecque. Go rent the movie, "South Pacific" and have a wonderful dessert for this wonderful tribute and Mary Martin playing Nellie!
"Nellie's Normal Blueberry Pie"
From the Theater Lovers Cookbook
Preparation time: about 1 hour, including baking.
Feedback Theaterbooks & Prospero Press
305 Madison Avenue, Suite 1146
New York, NY 10165
From "South Pacific" by Joshua Logan, Richard Rodgers, and Oscar Hammerstein, II