"Ramp"aging Chicken Chili
- Wild Widerness RAMPS in a chicken chili! Indigestion? Naw...
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:Serve 4 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ramps (leaves and all) cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). Crisco hot & spicy cooking oil
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml). Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp (10 ml). ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cayenne
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). Mexican chili powder
- 2 4 oz (112 grm). cans chopped green chilies
- 2 16 oz (448 grm). cans kidney beans (liquid included)
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can refried beans
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can stewed tomatoes
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can tomato paste
- 2 15-1/2 oz (434 grm). cans beef consomme
- diced ramps
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- Cook chicken, ramps and garlic in oil till chicken is slightly browned.
- Add spices, chilies and stir together.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook covered for 1 hour.
- Top finished chili with diced ramps and grated cheese.
- Hint: I might add a Whole Lotta Sour Cream to cut into the heat and.. ah, RAMPS!
- Ramp Season is about here! YIKES! The wild strong flavor and s-m-e-l-l-s of this wild "onion-garlic-leek-whatever" vegetable makes it's crowning sprouts in the Appalachain Mountains. What a great time to visit the Appalachain Mountains for the huge Ramp Festivals of Spring!!
This recipe was found at: http://www.foodfinder.com/ramps/ramprecipes.html