- 1 2 oz (56 grm). tin anchovies, drain on paper towels, use half in dressing and reserve half for salad
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 dashes Worchestershire sauce
- 1 splash red wine vinegar
- 1 fresh egg, raw or coddled
- 1 cup (225 ml) light, extra virgin olive oil
- fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except olive oil.
- Blend until smooth, but not too long.
- With blender running, add olive oil in a gradual stream.
- Continue blending until oil is completely incorporated.
- Best if chilled before use.
- This is a theme and variation on the Fairmont Hotel "Squire Room" recipe. Everyone who has tried it has raved about it!
Romaine must be well-chilled and dry.
All ingredients may be adjusted to suite taste. I usually use 1/2 the oil the recipe calls for to reduce fat.
Remainder of anchovies may be rough chopped or left whole to serve at table.
I always use shredded parmesean and homemade croutons for this salad.
Serve in well-chilled bowls or plates.