- Some personalizations added to a moist and flavorful classic that is a hit EVERY time you make it!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 5 pound rump of beef
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fat or oil
- 2 onions, sliced, OR
- 12 small white onions, peeled
- 2 carrots, scraped and cubed
- herbs and other seasonings, as desired
- 1 cup (225 ml) liquid (wine, bouillon, tomatoes, vegetable broth, etc.)
- other vegetables, as desired
- Season the flour with the salt and pepper and pound the mixture into the meat with the edge of a plate.
- Brown meat on all sides in the hot fat or oil.
- Add the onions, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, herbs, seasonings and liquid.
- Cover tightly and simmer 3 1/2 - 5 hours, until meat is fork tender.
- Add desired vegetables during the last 20 or 30 minutes.
- Pot Roast Variations:
- For part of the liquid, use a 10-ounce can (1 1/3 cups) of pur ed tomatoes.
- For seasoning, add 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced parsley or dill. When the meat has been removed from the pan, add 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream to the sauce.
- For the liquid, use 3/4 cup (175 ml) dry white wine, 2 tbsp (30 ml) brandy or rum, and 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili sauce.
- For seasoning, add 4-6 coriander seeds and 12 peppercorns.
- For the liquid, use 1/2 cup (125 ml) syrup from canned fruit, 2 tbsp (30 ml) vinegar, 1/2 cup (125 ml) water, 1 beef bouillon cube.
- For seasoning, add a pinch of powdered fennel and a tsp of minced dill.
- For the liquid, use half dry vermouth, half chicken bouillon.
- I like to add root vegetables to this recipe during the early spring and winter versions.. like carrots, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms, celery root, etc. Also delicious with cabbage and "Irish" vegetables.
From House and Garden magazine 1/63.