Simple White Cheese and Spinach Lasagna
- Succulent, rich, and decadent white cheese and spinach lasagne. See comments section for a wonderful seafood version for an entree idea!
- S. Chokel
- 8 oz (224 grm). lasagne noodles
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped onions
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 3 cups (700 ml) small curd cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- butter, as needed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cook noodles according to directions on package and set aside.
- Saute onions in butter until transparent; set aside.
- Cook spinach until thawed, then drain and squeeze dry; add onions and set aside.
- Combine Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs.
- Divide cheese mixture into two equal parts and place in 2 bowls.
- Add spinach mixture to one bowl only, blending well.
- Arrange a layer of noodles in a well buttered shallow baking dish.
- Cover with the cheese-spinach mixture and dot with more butter.
- Place another layer of noodles on top and cover with the plain cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and spinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and cooked through.
- After you eat this, you can actually hear your arteries clog, but it is worth it as an alternative to quiche with a salad. Sometimes, I add a layer of raw shrimps or crab meat after the spinach and the second layer of noodles before I spoon on the plain cheese mixture for a delectible seafood entree.
So simple to make, but will look like an elegant and special meal!