Caldo De Queso Y Chile Verde de Skye
- Oh this is IT! So fragrant and deliciously rich. The flavor must certainly be God's favorite too!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter (unsalted best)
- 2 onions, diced (Sweet, like Vidalia are great)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can roasted diced green chilies, diced
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 16 cups (3775 ml) chicken broth, (Canned consumme is fine or you can also use Knorr chicken Boullion cubes to water)
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). cheddar cheese or mixture with Colby and Monterey Jack (have it shredded and room temperature to blend and thicken best)
- salt to taste
- fresh cilantro
- chopped green onions
- sour cream
- In a large soup pot, melt butter and saute onions and garlic over medium heat.
- When onions are soft, add green chilies and tomatoes.
- Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock.
- Cook over medium heat until potatoes are done, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add cheese and, on very low heat, simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- For the absolute best results, omit the cheese, allow to cool overnight.
- Heat and just prior to serving add the cheese and then serve in Mexican soup bowls if you can find them (like a deep well plate).
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and chopped green onions and dollops of sour cream and fresh and warm corn tortillas.. or even soft warm flour tortillas.
If you don't have a source to get fresh tortillas, you can substitue a quality recipe for corn bread, or add a garnish of freshly cut off the cob corn, like a relish.
An icy cold Margarita made with Patron Tequila and fresh limes is the completion of the perfect meal!!