- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). rigatoni or other medium pasta shape
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh bratwurst
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) beer
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cheddar cheese
- 2 sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh basil, chiffonade or chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Mix red pepper, onions, and garlic with 1 tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil in 9 x 13 inch baking dish and roast in oven for 25 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- While vegetables roast, remove casing from bratwurst, crumble and brown in a skillet over medium heat until they are no longer pink and are well browned.
- Remove bratwurst and drain on paper towel; pour fat from skillet.
- Add bratwurst and beer to skillet and simmer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 ml) of pasta water.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven, immediately add bratwurst from skillet, add basil, pasta, 1 cup (225 ml) of cheese and toss to mix thoroughly--if mixture seems too dry, add some of the pasta water to moisten.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and serve.
- Note: I generally use more cheese in this recipe. We like using a combination of swiss and mozzarella to the cheddar.
Take this wrapped in foil to the picnic or parking lot for tailgating. It is also a FAVORITE of men and they will consume it all like crazy.. especially if you use hot spicy brats and have lots of cooooold beer!