Working Mom's Mexican Chicken Dinner
- Simple and Quick with E-Z clean-up! Spicy and Cheesey Chicken baked to perfection all in one pan! VERY economical too!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 (can be increased easily)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa (we like La Victoria Medium Heat Chunky)
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded cheddar or combination cheddar/jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- sliced black olives (optional garnish)
- chopped green onions (optional garnish)
- corn or flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Put washed and paper towel patted dry chicken breasts in an 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish (I use a pretty combination baking/serving crock casserole dish).
- Cover the chicken with salsa.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Top with cheese(s) and broil during last 5 minutes of baking time to melt and toast cheese.
- Garnish with sour cream (and black olives and chopped green onion if used) and additional salsa if desired.
- Serve with corn or flour tortillas.
- This is a simple and quick meal that makes everyone happy! It can easily be doubled or halved or tripled if needed! Try it with a whole cut-up chicken or less expensive chicken parts like legs or thighs for a VERY economical, time-saving meal.
We have always enjoyed this recipe with a chilled fruit cup and lots of carrot and jicama sticks or an oil and vinegar and a touch of sugar dressed cabbage slaw for a complete nutritious meal.
Special Note: I have done this in a crock-pot. I have taken a whole chicken and stuck it in the crockpot and poured in the salsa. Very good, but the baking method is much, much better.