Gourmet Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- Richly creamy brie cheese with a quality ham grilled to perfection with butter. Decadent with suggested fruits and Fresh Spring Asparagus!
- S. Chokel
- 12 slices pumpernickel bread
- your favorite mustard (We like a French coarse ground, white wine spiked mustard)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). thinly sliced smoked ham (quality is VERY important here)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). thinly sliced Brie cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, softened to spead
- Butter each slice of bread on one side only.
- Turn six slices of the bread on the buttered side to the preparation area.
- Spread those open sided slices of bread with the mustard.
- Next, layer with the ham and Brie.
- Spread the other six slices of bread with mustard on the unbuttered side.
- Place these slices mustard side down on top of the ham and brie.
- Heat a skillet, electric frying pan or griddle to medium heat and grill sandwiches.
- When bottom is golden brown and the cheese beings to melt more (as brie is very soft to begin with), turn them over and grill to a light golden brown.
- Serve with slices of Apples and Pears lightly drizzled with chilled white wine.
- EASILY increased or decreased as need of servings dictate. I have served these many times as dinner when it is just my husband and myself and we want to enjoy a tasty and simple meal.
This is an excellent sandwich to serve with the Spring Harvest of Fresh Asparagus!! The fruit, sandwich and asparagus is so delicious and a pretty spring presentation!