- Delectible with fried seafood or chicken, pork, hams, or sausages. Crisp outside, tender flavor inside!
- S. Chokel
- 1-1/4 lbs (.6 kg). cornn meal (freshly milled is outstanding)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, jumbo, barely beaten
- 1-1/2 cc. whole milk (the popular 2% is okay, whole is better)
- cooking oil or fat to fry them in (I use Peanut Oil, it's your choice, some say lard is the best.)
- In a large deep mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add onions and lightly toss into dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg and milk (Mixture should be stiff enough to drip from tbsp in a solid mass).
- Chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- Scoop the dough into balls in tbsp amounts and drop from the spoon into moderately hot cooking oil or fatabout 3 to 4 inches deep.
- When the hushpuppies are nut brown, remove from hot oil or fat and drain.
- This is a recipe that was given to me when I was a new bride. We rarely eat them anymore.. too clogging to the arteries. They are especially delicious with fried cod or catfish.