- Vegetarian Carribean Salad.. interesting.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 small head of cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) peanuts, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) white pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the chopped cabbage and chopped peanuts together and season with salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Cream the butter, mustard, sugar and flour together.
- Carefully stir in the vinegar.
- Cook this mixture in a double boiler until very thick and add beaten egg yolks.. blend in thoroughly.
- When warm and blended well, pour over nuts and cabbage, toss gently, and serve.
- According to my friend, this is a very, very traditional salad served in Carribean homes. Again, I have never tried this recipe, so I cannot vouch for it's success.. but my friend says it is great stuff.