- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 5 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) oil for frying
- Grate potatoes and onion on the fine side of a grater, or in a food processor, put in a blender with a little bit water if needed.
- Strain grated potatoes and onion through a colander, pressing out excess water.
- Add eggs, flour, and seasoning; mix well.
- Heat 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil in skillet.
- With a medium to medium high heat (all stoves are different) and place large 1 tbsp (15 ml) of batter at a time into hot sizzling oil and fry on one side for approximately 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn over and fry on other side 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Continue with remaining batter until used up, adding more oil when necessary.
- Serve with sour cream and sauteed apples or applesauce on the side.
- Variation: Zucchini or Carrot Latkes: Substitute 5 medium zucchini or 5 medium carrots for potatoes.
- Depending on your family, this recipe has differing names. Some people call it Kugel and some Latkes. Kugel is generally known as a Noodle Pudding, however many, many families refer to Kugel as a broad spectrum of recipes that primarily come from Eastern European Countries.