Seven Minute Peppermint Frosting
- foamy frosting made with peppermint candy
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) white corn syrup
- 7-1/2 tbsp (100 ml) water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) peppermint extract
- 10 to 15 peppermint candies crushed (the red and white kind)
- Combine sugar, water and syrup in a glass microwave safe measuring cup, the 2 quarts (1900 ml) size.
- Cook one minute at a time stopping to stir and wash the spoon each time until the syrup spins a silk thread.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Slowly add hot syrup to the egg whites while still beating (The frosting should have the consistancy of marshmellow creme when it is done and ready to spread).
- Add the peppermint extract and stir it in and then spread over a chocolate cake.
- Sprinkle with the crushed candies.
- It doesnt matter which candies you use to make the frosting, and cupcakes can be dipped in the frosting to make a soft top, at halloween it is fun to make cupcake ghosts, the cupcakes being the base and the ghost being the peak of frosting, decorated with eyes and mouths.
Molasses or brown sugar can be exchanged for a spice cake.
Rum should be added instead of the peppermint extract.
Red Hearts and a drop or two of cinnamon oil can be used on chocolate or a white cake.