- A traditional Swiss recipe; quite different from French onion.
- 6 large onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 4 cups (950 ml) milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth (or water)
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). Swiss cheese, grated
- 6 slices stale bread, cubed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) paprika
- Cook onion in butter until soft but still white; NOT brown.
- Stir in milk and broth.
- Bring to slow boil.
- Add grated cheese, bread, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Simmer, covered, over lowest possible heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.