- An old standard based on a Fannie Farmer Cookbook Rx
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold milk (separate from above 2 cups)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Scald the 2 cups (475 ml) of milk in a double boiler.
- Mix the cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.
- Stir the 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk into the cornstarch mixture in bowl.
- With scalded milk STILL in double boiler over medium heat; add the cornstarch mixture to the milk VERY slowly.
- Stir CONSTANTLY while adding and until pudding thickens; approximately 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, stirring ocasionally.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into molds or serving dishes.
- (1)Careful when adding the cornstarch mixture. This can "lump up" if added too quickly or without proper stirring.
(2)This is traditionally poured into molds and then unmolded when cold; but I always use custard cups and serve right from the cup.