- We ate this as kids on cold snowy days or when we were sick. The Ultimate Comfort Food of the Irish!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). boiling beef or fowl
- 3 quarts (2850 ml) cold fresh water
- 4 oz (112 grm). pearl barley
- 3 to 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 oz (56 grm). steel-cut oatmeal (McCann's is available in USA, don't use Quaker's mushy flakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the beef or fowl in the cold water with the salt, pepper, and barley.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer.
- Prepare the vegetables and add to the meat together with the oatmeal.
- Simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Serve. (We like to eat this with Soda Bread and glops of a soft pungent cheese for dinners).
- Note1: I chop the onions into little chunks and slice the carrots. I chop the celery into little pieces.
Note2: If you add the onion's natural brown skin to the broth, it will turn the broth to a natural beautiful golden color. That is an old, old, old trick of cooks from ancient times and is really a great trick.