- Delicious and simple way to enjoy being Irish or eat potatoes!
- S. Chokel
- 8 potatoes, good quality floury kind, russets are okay
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) to 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- Peel potatoes and leave them whole and rounded.
- Put them into a heavy saucepan with not more than 1/2 inch water.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot lavishly and well with butter.
- Cover it up tight and cook over a very low heat until they are cooked--shake them from time to time to keep them from sticking.
- Serve with any meal of cold or hot meats or as a meal itself.
You can use 2 T. of bacon or meat drippings and quickly soften one sliced onion in the drippings (don't brown the onions, just until limpy), then add the potatoes, but in slices not whole. Omit the butter and use maybe 6 potatoes.
Note: My little grandma Shaughnessy would use 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 milk instead of water for special occassons and that is my favorite way.