- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vodka
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 cups (475 ml) heavy cream
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook garlic in olive oil until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking up a bit with fork.
- Stir in basil, salt and pepper and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in vodka and cook 15 minutes more.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Stir cream into sauce and cook 10 minutes more.
- Toss with hot pasta.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.