- Condiment with Island flair, but used everywhere for downhome goodness!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:8 or more pints
- 5 cups (1175 ml) sugar
- 4 cups (950 ml) vinegar
- 12 cups (2825 ml) firm mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated gingerroot
- 1 to 4 chile peppers, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup (225 ml) seeded raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) seedless raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) currants
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Boil sugar and vinegar together for 5 minutes; add mangoes and remaining ingredients.
- Cook over moderate heat for about 1 hour or until thick and of desired consistency; stir frequently.
- Pour into sterilized glass pint jars to about 1 inch to edge of rim and seal with sterilized lids and rings.
- Hot water bath for 30 minutes.
- Check with your local home extension office for pressure canning times or any recent corrections for hot water bath times for the fruit used.
- Note: If you divide the recipe.. or make it and share with others, you can keep it safely in the fridge for up to a month's use without processing.
This is especially good with pork and chicken dishes. Our personal favorites are Adobo Pork or Southern Fried Chicken!