- 1/2 cup (125 ml) solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 lb (.5 kg). confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). milk or water
- 1 tsp (5 ml). almond extract (or vanilla)
- Cream shortening and butter.
- Add sugar, water and extract.
- Blend on medium speed until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Blend a minute or two more until creamy in texture.
- If using a hand mixer and icing is not creamy, use high speed or add more milk a drop at a time.
- I prefer almond extract because it is colorless. This icing must be thick if using it for decorating.