- yumyum recipes
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) all-purpose flour--not self-rising flour
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 3-1/2 tsp (17.5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) shortening
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla or almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease and flour rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, 2 round pans, 9 X 1-1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 X 1-1/2 inches.
- Beat all ingredients except egg whites, nuts and cherries in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Fold nuts and cherries into batter.
- Pour into pan(s).
- Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool rectangle on wire rack.
- Cool layers 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost cake with Cherry-Nut Frosting if desired.