Serves/Makes:8 half pint jars
- 8 cups (1900 ml) cooking apples, cored,peeled and sliced thin
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 5 cups (1175 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 orange-thinly sliced and slivered
- Bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until all sugar is dissolved.
- Add lemon juice, apples, and orange...boil rapidly until the mixture reaches 211 degrees (100 C.).
- Remove from heat, skim off the foam, ladle into eight sterilized half pint jars, and seal.
- I watch as it cooks to make sure it doesn't burn...
I once added some chopped marachino cherries and it was great!
I also substituted pears for apples and they worked well too.