Old Time Molasses Hard Candy
- Simple nugget candy heated to hardcrack stage
- Alberta Joyce Reid
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of molasses
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of vinegar
- 1 little splash of lemon juice
- Mix ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Stir constantly and heat over medium-high to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until a piece of the candy turns brittle in cold water.
- My grandmother who lived in Beaumont,Newfoundland made this candy and my mother makes it still. The candy is most often used as a lozenge for sore throats. My mother uses white vinigar but I might try an apple cider vinigar instead. She also simply heats the candy in a saucepan directly over the stove element. I would probably use a double boiler but the risk of water drops getting into the candy might be problematic. I hope this is the recipe you are looking for. I remember the candy has a lovely tawney colour.