- Tasty Tried and True recipe from the Amish. VERY easy and a wonderful way to serve a ham dinner.
- S. Chokel
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). smoked ham
- 1 quart (950 ml) green beans, washed and broken into 1 inch pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, washed, pared, and quartered
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- warmed apple cider vinegar, optional
- Cover ham with cold water and simmer 2-1/2 hours.
- If necessary, add water during cooking to keep at least 1 quart (950 ml) of broth at all times.
- Add the beans and continue cooking about 25 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook another 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
- If you want to enjoy this in the truly Amish manner, serve with heated Apple Cider Vinegar.