- Dottie Adams
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) unsweetened apple juice
- 20 cinnamon red hot candies
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch
- 1 9 inch pie crust, baked
- Peel and core the apples.
- Slice thinly.
- Combine 1 1/2 c apple juice, candies, food coloring, vanilla, and apples in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until apples are tender, stirring frequently.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple juice and corn starch; stir into apple mixture, and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Spread apple mixture into pie shell, and chill for several hours.
- Before serving, top with whipped topping and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.