Chunky Strawberry Applesauce
- Bon Appétit Light and Easy
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2-1/2 pounds small Red Delicious apples (about 6 medium), quartered, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 1 pint basket fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 1 3 oz (84 grm). package strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Cook first 3 ingredients covered in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until apples are falling-apart tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Mix in gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Adjust tartness with lemon juice, if desired.
- Cover and let cool.
- Refrigerate until cold and thickened, at least 2 hours.
- If you don't like chunks, you can mash or puree the fruit mixture to make a texture you prefer.
Can be prepared up to 3 days ahead.
Per serving; calories, 170; fat, 1 g; sodium, 46 mg; cholesterol, 0 mg