Strawberry Rhubarb Applesauce
- Ari Kornfeld
- 4 to 5 large sweet apples (I like golden delicious which are very sweet)
- 3 long, thick rhubarb stalks
- 1/2 pint strawberries
- sweetener to taste (I use none)
- Peel and chop rhubarb.
- Core, peel and chop apple.
- Pick stems off strawberries.
- Dump it all in a pot and add a little water (1/4 cup?) to prevent burning (once the apples start cooking they will release their own liquid so the water is really needed because of the first minutes of cooking.)
- Cook, covered, on a medium flame until boiling then turn heat down and tilt the cover a little to let steam escape.
- Stir occassionally.
- Simmer until most of the apples have disolved and the mix doesn't look too watery - around half and hour.
- It's best to turn off the flame while the mix is still a little watery since more water will evaporate while it is cooling down.
- I prefer the texture when some apple chunks are left in the sauce.
- If you can't find rhubarb, try cranberries.
- You can also use this as a "low sugar" jam.
- Here's my favorite apple sauce recipe. It's real easy too.