Potato Water Sourdough Starter
- The tangy sweetness of sourdough for excellent bread products from pancakes, biscuits, breads and rolls.
- Arizona Tart
Serves/Makes:About 1-1/2 Quarts of starter
- 3 medium Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups (950 ml) water
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 Package Dry Yeast
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) potato water
- Cook 3 meduim potatoes in water until tender.
- Drain; reserving all the liquid.
- Use potatoes in a favorite recipe, if desired.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and dry yeast; mix well.
- Stir in reserved potato water.
- Cover with a towel or cheesecloth and place in a warm place, 85 degrees (30 C.) F., for 1-2 days or until mixture becomes bubbly.
- Stir down several times a day.
- Store until needed in refrigerator in a clean plastic container with a tight fitting lid--this same lid must have a small hole punched in it's top to allow the gases to escape.
- To replenish and feed (which is required to keep it alive), add equal amounts of flour and lukewarm water at least once a week.