Egg, Cheese and Olive Casserole
- This is an age old recipe from the early part of the 1900's. Revisit it today for luncheon fare or a different dish to serve at a buffet.
- Arizona Tart
Serves/Makes:1 9 inch x 13 inch pan
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) packed blue cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard
- 4 cups (950 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 8 larger green stuffed olives
- Butter a 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan or oven proof casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss together all the cheese.
- In the buttered pan, alternate into at least two layers, the bread down and then the cheese, season with salt, pepper (and/or cayenne pepper) and ripe olives.
- Beat eggs and combine with dry mustard and milk in a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread and cheese and refridgerate for at least 1 hour, overnight best.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 1 hour.
- Garnish with the green stuffed olives and serve.