Sesame Chicken Bites with Apricot Mustard Sauce
- Delicious Chinese inspired entree or appetizers.
- Arizona Tart
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- Ingredients for chicken:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sake wine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). boned chicken breasts, cut into 1x1-inch pieces
- vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) minus 2 tbsp (30 ml) corn starch
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sesame seeds
- Ingredients for Apricot Mustard Sauce:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dry mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) water
- 2 drops or more of a quality vegetable or canola oil
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). jar apricot preserves or jam
- Directions for Chicken:
- Blend together the eggs, sake wine, grated lemon peel, sugar, grated fresh ginger 0R dried ginger, salt and minced garlic.
- Add chicken and and mix thoroughly.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oil in deep saucepan to 400 degrees (200 C.) or until a bread cube dropped into hot oil fries to golden brown immediately.
- Stir cornstarch into chicken mixture.
- Coat each chicken piece with sesame seeds, shaking off excess.
- Add chicken to the hot oil in batches and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with mustard dip or sweet and sour sauce.
- Apricot Mustard Sauce:
- Mix mustard with enough water to form a paste.
- Blend in several drops of oil to make a smooth consistency.
- Blend mustard with apricot preserves or jam--add water if necessary to thin.
- Serve chicken and sauce with steamed white sticky rice.
- Vegetable suggestion are steamed broccoli and carrots.
- As an appetizer serves about 20.
- Recommend that novice cooks read and become very familiar with recipe and cooking process of deep frying BEFORE trying this out.