- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1 cup (225 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can mixed vegetables, drained (optional)
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large potatoes, boiled and mashed with butter, milk, salt and pepper
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown gravy (I use brown gravy mix)
- Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet and drain off grease.
- Combine beef mixture, Worcestershire sauce, vegetables, mushroom soup, salt and pepper.
- Place in 1-1/2 quarts (1425 ml) casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake in 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 30 minutes.
- Prepare brown gravy mix according to directions on package.
- Serve alongside shepherds pie.
- Another way to make this--more true to your request--is with leftovers. From leftover pot roast shred leftover beef, diced roasted potatoes, carrots and onions for the filling. Use gravy from the roast to moisten the meat mixture before topping with mashed potatoes. Bake as directed above.