- Old-fashioned candy, like Persian delights
Serves/Makes:8" x 8" pan
- 2 pkg. unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) applesauce or pureed cooked dried apricots
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Mix gelatin with 1/2 cup (125 ml) applesauce and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Put sugar and remaining applesauce in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in gelatin-applesauce mixture and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add walnuts and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour into greased 8 inch x 8 inch pan.
- Let stand overnight.
- Cut in squares and toss the squares in a paper bag of powdered sugar.
- San Jose Mercury Readers' Exchange column, contributor and date unknown