- Delicious as a lemon pie filling, wonderful in trifle, perfect for jelly doughnuts, and gingerbread & tea breads are made for it! Perfect Lemon Sauce!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:2 1/4 cups
- 3 whole lemons
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Pare the rind from the lemon and make into strips; set aside.
- Squeeze and strain the lemon's juice; set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt the butter.
- Stir in the sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Continue stirring over double boiler until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the eggs and stir gently as mixture thickens.
- Continue cooking until it reaches a consistency to coat the spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand a few minutes to thicken a bit more then strain through a course sieve.
- The tang and richness is spectacular. The color is wonderful. Since there is no flour or corn starch in it, as a pudding would have you do, it is almost a perfect lemon flavor and a true delicacy.. AND SO EASY!!
Note: This sauce is a show stopper on top of Blueberry or Raspberry cobblers and pies. It is completely stunning on top of Lemon Custard Ice Cream or anything with raspberries.