Baba Ghannouj (Bah-ba Gah-new-shh)
- Delicious and creamy lower fat healthy dip especially for pita bread, vegetables, crackers, chips or FINGERS!
- S. Chokel
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup (225 ml) tahini (ta-he-nee)
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt (sea salt is best in this recipe)
- extra virgin olive oil
- chopped parsley
- optional: pomegrante seeds
- pita bread
- Bake the eggplants on a foil lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees (175 C.) until very soft (about one hour).
- Peel them, place them in a bowl and mash them.
- Then put the eggplant, the lemon juice, garlic, tahini and salt in a food processor with a steel blade and mash them.
- Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle the top of the dip with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Garnish with parsley (and pomegrante seeds if desired).
- Spread on wedges of Pita Bread for the most authentic and delicious servings.
- Tahini is ground sesame seeds, like a wonderful peanut butter but lighter and a cleaner taste.
A wonderful hor d'oeuvre at a cocktail party or the hit of any picnic! We like this watching NFL or college football in the fall!
VERY healthy food for calorie counters and nutritionally consciensious cooks!