- Great For Thanksgiving...
- Passed Down From The Generations on the Mother's Side
- 2 large cans Princella Yams in Light Syrup
- 3 sticks Challenge butter (regular not unsalted)
- 1 cup (225 ml) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). (level) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla or almond extract or to taste (optional)
- Drain syrup from yams and place in pot on LOW heat.
- Place remaining yams in glass baking dish.
- Stir in butter, sugar, nutmeg and cinamon to syrup.
- Continually stir for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- To decrease chances of sugar scorching the bottom of the pan, stir in different directions.
- Syrup is ready when sauce sticks to spoon.
- Pour over yams.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 20 minutes OR stir in yams for 10 minutes on High Simmer on the stove top.
- Honey or maple syrup can be used in place of dark brown sugar.
For richer scauce add 1/2 stick butter more per can of yams.
Can be served chilled over vanilla ice cream for desert.