- The creamy delicious tang and pungency of Brie is decadent with Crisp Apples and Fresh Sweet Pears!
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:6 or more slices
- 1 9 inch pie crust
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) light cream
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Brie cheese, broken into small pieces
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg, optional
- tart apples, garnish
- pears, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Line a 9-inch quiche pan or pie pan with the pastry, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and cream together, then blend in the cheese and salt (and nutmeg if using).
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Gently stir in 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the egg whites into the egg yolk and cheese mixture and blend to lighten the mixture.
- Then, carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the completed mixture into the cooled crust and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- Serve on plates with wedges of crisp tart apples and fresh sweet pears.
- A trick my grandmother, who taught me this exquisite recipe is to take a very thin slice of a quality Virginia Ham and roll it around Chilled and lemon drizzled Asparagus spears to serve with the fruit and quiche for a full evening meal.
Wonderful recipe to serve at bridge or other card parties. It is great for any gathering of ladies, such at Beta Sigma Phi or a Civic or Religious Group for a satisfying and differnt dish.
In the spring, I like this especially with the new season's fresh strawberries!