- cakerecipe.com (Syd)
Serves/Makes:1 10" cake
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) cake flour
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) white sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) egg whites
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) almond extract
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Repeat five times.
- Gently combine the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven.
- Turn the oven on; set it to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Cook for about one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan.
- When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.
- " Homemade angel food cake is worth the work. It is moist, unlike the sweet styrofoam available in the grocery bakery. A tube pan with a removable bottom is highly recommended. "