- Arielle's recipe archive
Serves/Makes:12 or more
- 3 oz (84 grm). blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 3 oz (84 grm). walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). allspice
- 1/4 pint clear honey
- 1 pkg. fillo dough
- 3/4 oz (21 grm). butter, melted
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Mix the almonds and walnuts with cinnamon, allspice and fluid 2 oz (56 grm). of the honey.
- Line an 8" square pan with foil.
- Cut 4 layers of the dough to fit in the 8" square pan.
- Place one layer of dough in the pan and brush with a little butter.
- Cover with another layer of dough, then spread with the nut filling.
- Cover with the 3rd layer of dough and brush it with butter.
- Cover with the 4th layer of dough and brush it with butter, then cut through the top two layers to mark out four squares.
- Cut each in half again to make triangles.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the lemon juice with the remaining honey, adding enough water to make the mixture 1/4 pint.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon over the hot baklava while it's still in the pan and leave to soak for 2 hours before removing from the pan to cut and serve.