- This recipie was given to my by my great grandmother, and I love 'em.
- Jessica W. in CA
- 1 lb (.5 kg). powdered sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) fine granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Kayro corn syrup
- green food coloring
- peppermint extract, to taste
- Pour granulated sugar into a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix powdered sugar, butter and Karo Syrup together.
- Add drops of the food coloring until it is a light pastel green color.
- Add the peppermint extract a little at a time until it is the right strength for you.
- Mix throughly--the consistency should be like dough.
- Using your hands usually works the best, because a mixer would make it too runny.
- Roll the mixture into balls and coat the balls with the granulated sugar.
- Press the balls into a candy mold and allow to sit and dry overnight (if your candy mold doesn't hold a lot, you might have to do get another one, because this makes a lot of candies).
- Pop the candies out of the molds and place in wax paper - lined, airtight containers.
- This isn't the most healthy recipie in the world, 'cause it is basically like eating sugar and butter. But it is really really good and will make a lot of candies. Make them before a large family get together and set them out in a nice candy dish just before their arrival.