- 1 cup (225 ml) diced onion
- 3 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh thyme leaves, or 2 tsp (10 ml). dried
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coarsely chopped gingerroot
- 2 or more Scotch bonnet or habanero chile peppers
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 2 whole chicken breast, split and skinned
- In a food processor or blender, combine the onion, scallion, thyme, ginger, chiles, oil, allspice, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Process to a pulpy paste--there will be about a cup.
- Spread the paste liberally over the chicken breasts.
- Arrange the chicken on a plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerate 2-3 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees (150 C.).
- Place the chicken in a baking dish, cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, light the grill, or if cooking indoors, heat a grill pan or ridged griddle.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven, grill it until it is cooked through, turning the pieces once--this takes about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- 194 calories, 7 grams of fat per serving.