- Tomatoes dried in the oven
- tomatoes, roma are best, but any kind will do
- salt to taste
- olive oil
- Cut each tomato in half and squeeze out excess moisture, scoop out seeds and remove stem.
- Place on screens or racks, cut side up.
- Salt lightly.
- To oven dry, place on foil lined baking sheet in 200 degree (90 C.) pre-heated oven.
- Allow 6-8 hours.
- They should be shriveled and like leather.
- Store in glass jar with lid.
- To use, fill jar with half boiling water and half vinegar for a few minutes.
- Add herbs and garlic to taste.
- Cover with olive oil.
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Will keep indefinitely.
- Use at room temperature.
- You can also use the dried slices as they are.
I sometime slice round tomatoes and dry them.
Cherry tomatoes, halved dry nicely.