- Sacramento Bee May 2, 2001
- 3 cups (700 ml) plain flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk or reconstituted milk powder and water
- 1 cup (225 ml) water, approximately
- 1-1/2 oz (42 grm). butter (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix to form a smooth dough.
- Knead only lightly until smooth.
- Press into a 6 inch circle.
- Place on a baking tray and make a deep cross in the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe comes from Australian cooking authority Donna Hay who suggests it be served with golden syrup, honey or jam and a cup of "billy," tea steeped in a can with a lid and handle, which is placed directly in a camp fire.