- A Traditional Slovenian Meal. This is a recipe that most people will recognize as the best recipe!
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground lean pork
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). ground lean beef
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, finely chopped, browned in a little bacon fat
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole grained rice, uncooked (not minute rice types)
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). sauerkraut, drained, use a good quality one
- 1 cup (225 ml) tomato juice
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 3 pork neck bones
- Core the cabbage and place head down in enough boiling water to cover; turn off heat.
- When cabbage has wilted remove from the hot water and peel the leaves off, leaving them whole.
- Trim the heavy vein down to make it look flat.
- Combine the meats, onion, egg, seasonings and rice; mix well.
- In the center of each baggage leaf, place 2 3 tbsp (45 ml) of this filling mixture; fold sides in first, then roll up.
- Line a large kettle with cabbage leaves not used to make the rolls (If necessary, use an extra cabbage if the first head was too small).
- Layer the cabbage rolls, seam side down.
- Cover it all with sauerkraut.
- Add tomato juice and water on top of all that and place the neck bones on the very top.
- Bring the kettle to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a good 3 to 4 hours covered.
- The scent of this cooking is so delectible and will make you feel like you are in an Eastern European country side of a cozy home filled with love and warmth!
Wonderful served with boiled potatoes or homemade egg noodles (dumplings). Don't forget a loaf of crusty chewy sheperd's bread for tearing a chunck to sop up the juice/gravy!