- Italian Custard to be used alone or with chocolate or fruits.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:Serves 2 or more
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon rind
- 5 tsp (25 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) quality sherry or marsala wine
- fresh fruit, optional
- shaved chocolate, optional
- toasted almonds, optional
- sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Beat egg yolks in the top of a double boiler.
- Add the sugar, lemon rind and juice, and the wine.
- Beat constantly over the hot water until thick and fluffy.
- Remove at once from hot water.
- Pour into serving glasses and chill to be eaten alone or layered with fresh fruit.
- Top it off with rich chocolate shaved and toasted almonds or sweetened whipped cream.
- Decadent especially served with fresh raspberry coulis and whole berries for garnish, and a splash of Chambord (Raspberry Liqeuer).
It is also excellent served warm as a cream over Italian Cakes, Cookies or with Lady Fingers.